Hama-rikyu Gardens

HOME > SEARCH SIGHTSEEING SPOTS > Hama-rikyu Gardens

Main content starts here.

These gardens belonged to the Tokugawa shogunate and served as a branch castle for Edo Castle during the Edo period. They feature a tidal pond and two duck hunting grounds. It is said that the gardens as they currently appear were completed during the era of Tokugawa Ienari, the 11th shogun. After the Meiji Restoration, they became a villa belonging to the Imperial household, and the name was changed to “Hama-rikyu.” The gardens were given to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government in 1945, and they were opened to the public as “Hama-rikyu Onshi Park” in April of 1946.

Detailed information

Basic information

Address

Hamarikyu-teien 1-1

Chuo-ku

Postal code:104-0046

Access

By train:7 minutes by foot from Shiodome Station/Tsukiji-shijo Station on the Toei Oedo Line or from Shiodome Station on the Yurikamome Line, 12 minutes by foot from Shibashi Station on the JR/Tokyo Metro Ginza Line/Toei Asakusa Line

Views/scenery

Views of Tokyo Tower | Views of the TOKYO SKY TREE | Views of the ocean |

Cultural Properties

National Designated Cultural Properties |

Other services

Facility information

Toilet facilities available | Smoking area |

Foreign language explanations/displays

English |

Foreign language pamphlets

English | Chinese (simplified) | Chinese (traditional) | Korean | French |

Foreign language guides/interpretation/audio guides

English | Chinese (simplified) | Chinese (traditional) | Korean | French |

Universal design

  • Automated external defibrillator (AED)
  • Accessible parking for people with disabilities (in wheelchairs)
  • Urinal with handrail
  • Western-style toilet with handrail
  • Japanese-style toilet with handrail
  • Moveable handrail
  • Multi-purpose toilet
  • Diaper changing area
  • Wheelchair rental
  • Nursing room
  • Floor height difference in facility

Map information

SEARCH GO TOKYO